Kyle Busch and wife Samantha turned IVF struggles into advocacy
Kyle Busch, the celebrated NASCAR driver, and his wife Samantha used their personal infertility challenges to launch advocacy, a memoir and the Bundle of Joy Fund, which has funded fertility treatments for dozens of families; his sudden death on May 21, 2026 prompted tributes from the infertility community.
Most people probably knew Kyle Busch, the 41-year-old, two-time Cup champion, as a NASCAR legend. Some, however, knew him as an advocate for people battling infertility.
The sudden death of the racing star on May 21 left fans reeling. And while plenty of tributes have flooded in from fellow drivers, celebrities and friends, some of the most heartfelt have come from people inspired and helped by his willingness to share his family’s story.
Kyle and his wife, Samantha, had been vocal about their journey to having a family for more than a decade. The parents of two underwent multiple rounds of in vitro fertilization — a procedure in which eggs are fertilized by sperm outside the body and then implanted into the uterus — to have their children, 11-year-old Brexton and 4-year-old Lennix, after struggling to get pregnant and experiencing several miscarriages.
After the “miracle” of their first child, the family ended up welcoming daughter Lennix via surrogacy in 2022. In late 2021, the Buschs shared the news with the world and the big brother-to-be in a social media post captioned, “You can’t have a rainbow without a storm.”
Samantha and Kyle’s experiences gave rise to a memoir, “Fighting Infertility”, a White House visit and a foundation to help fund other hopeful parents’ medical bills.
Samantha and Kyle Busch Bundle of Joy Fund
In 2015, the couple founded the Samantha and Kyle Busch Bundle of Joy Fund, which has awarded more than 150 grants worth over $2 million to families undergoing fertility treatments such as IVF. The grants have resulted in 100 births, according to the fund’s website.
“One day, sitting in the waiting room of our fertility clinic, we overheard another couple say that money was the only thing standing between them and the chance for a baby,” Samantha wrote on the foundation’s website. “In that moment, Kyle and I looked at each other and knew God was planting a seed in our hearts – a calling to take action.”
The couple went through six rounds of IVF and endured multiple miscarriages, she wrote. In an April 19 post for National Infertility Awareness Week, she recounted some of the toll infertility took on her family.
“Fighting battles no one could see… heartbreak that felt endless. But it didn’t break me—it built me. Built the mission, the fight, the Bundle of Joy Fund,” she said. “… for the 1 in 6—we see you. We are you. We will always continue to fight for other couples to feel seen, validated and understood.”
In October, Samantha visited the White House to speak on behalf of those struggling to access fertility care, which Bundle of Joy said in a news release can cost “$20,000 plus.” Trump announced a plan to expand access to IVF at that meeting, saying that he had reached a deal with the largest fertility drug manufacturer in the United States to lower costs by 42% to 79%.
“I am so incredibly proud of you @samanthabusch and all that you have accomplished with the @bundleofjoyfund for IVF,” Kyle wrote in a post after the visit. “Your hard work, passion, and unwavering commitment to helping others has truly paid off, and it’s inspiring to see the positive impact you’re making in the lives of so many families.”
Infertility community pays tribute
Advocates and organizations in the infertility space flooded social media with tributes to the Buschs after news of the NASCAR driver’s death hit headlines.
Resolve, a national infertility and family-building association, commended Kyle’s “commitment to raising awareness about infertility and helping families achieve their dream of parenthood (and) changed countless lives,” in a May 22 Instagram post.
“Kyle’s passion, generosity, and unwavering belief that everyone deserves a chance to build a family will continue to inspire our community for years to come,” it said.
Pregnantish, a media network dedicated to infertility and family building, said in a post that the couple had attended and provided “beautiful and heartfelt words” at its World Fertility Awards last year.
“They have always shown up with compassion, honesty, and support for this community. Their impact has been deeply felt by so many, and we are sending so much love, strength, and our deepest condolences during this incredibly difficult time,” it said.
The Bundle of Joy Instagram page had not posted about his death as of Friday afternoon, but is likewise filled with grateful testimony from parents who benefited from the fund.
“Joe and I can’t thank your organizations enough for this gift you have given us. It has restored so much hope in our journey. It has also relieved a lot of our stress on the financial part of this process,” said one post from parents Carol and Joe.
“(BOJ Baby) number 23 is now 6 years old, growing and thriving every day, and now in kindergarten. Looking back, it still feels unbelievable,” said another post from parents Sharika and Gabriel. “We will never forget the incredible gift given to us through The Bundle of Joy Fund. Every year, we tell her the story – how generous hearts helped make her possible. We are so thankful and grateful to be her parents.”